I have used xfs pretty extensively, it seemed to be somewhat faster than
ext3.

The only trouble we had related to some machines running the PAE 32 bit
kernels, where we the filesystems lockup. That is an obscure use case
however.
Running JBOD with your dfs.data.dir listing a directory on each device
speeds things up, as does keeping other users off of the disks/machine.