Mark,
Set-up for a mapred job consumes a considerable amount of time and resources
and so, if possible a single job is preferred.
You can add multiple paths to your job, and if you need different processing
logic depending upon the input being consumed, you can use parameter
map.input.file in your mapper to decide.

Amogh