The property you are going to need to set is

<property>
  <name>dfs.name.dir</name>
  <value>${hadoop.tmp.dir}/dfs/name</value>
  <description>Determines where on the local filesystem the DFS name node
      should store the name table.  If this is a comma-delimited list
      of directories then the name table is replicated in all of the
      directories, for redundancy. </description>
</property>

If you are running 0.20 and later information the information about
the critical variables you need to setup to get running is here:
(give these a good read through)

http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/quickstart.html
http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/cluster_setup.html

If you are running a version older then 0.20 you can look in
hadoop-default.xml and make changes to hadoop-site.xml.

Edward