You should implement your split to represent the split information. Then you
should implement getSplits in InputFormat to get the splits from your input,
which divides the whole input into chunks. Here, each split will be given to a
map task.
You should also define RecordReader which reads records from the split. Map
task processes one record at a time.

See http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/r0.20.0/mapred_tutorial.html#Job+Input

Thanks
Amareshwari