Jim,

Most components of hadoop now have a document branch per release, that
documentation is inline and is generated by forest. Anything that you
find not on the wiki, with a version number, should have a more up to
date page.

For example:
http://hadoop.apache.org/common/

Drop down 'Documentation'
Release 0.18.3
Release 0.19.2
Release 0.20.1

Usually you will find a fresher documentation page:
http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/r0.20.1/hod_user_guide.html