Ravi wrote:
Hi,
I have designed a mapreduce algorithm for all pairs shortest paths problem. As a part of the implementation of this algorithm, I have written the following mapreduce job. It is running well and producing desired output in pseudo distributed mode. I have used a machine with ubuntu 8.04 and hadoop-0.18.3 to run the job in pseudo distributed mode. When I tried to run the same program on a cluster of 4 machines(each running Redhat linux 9) with the same version of hadoop(hadooop-0.18.3), the program is not giving any errors but its not giving any output as well(The output file is blank). This is the first time I am facing this kind of problem. I am attaching the jar file of the program and sample inputs: out1 and out2 as well.(The program need to read input from these two files) I have searched the archive but didn't find any mail mentioning this problem. I have googled, but it was of no use.
I am not able to find out what am I missing in the code.

First, the bad news: nobody is going to debug your program for you. It's your program, you get to learn about distributed debugging. We all have our own programs and their bugs to deal with, and if its a problem with your physical cluster, then nobody but you are in a psition to fix.

Now, the good news: the skills you learn on this simple app scale well to bigger clusters and more complex programs. Accordingly, it is absolutely essential that you do learn this process now, while your problem is still small.

http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToDebugMapReducePrograms

* Tell Hadoop to save all failed outputs with keep.failed.task.files
* See what gets retained on the worker machines, and their logs
* log at log4j's debug level in your code, run the nodes with your classes set to log at debug level (leave the rest at info, for now). Leave the logging settings in, they may come in useful later, just check with log.isDebugEnabled() before constructing strings or other work to create the log entries.

> Should I be using hadoop-0.20?

It's not likely to magically make your problem go away, if that is what you were wondering.