Hi Ankit,
>>however the the issue that i am facing that I was expecting all the maps to
>>finish before any reduce starts.
This is exactly how it happens, reducers poll map tasks for data and begin user
code only after all maps complete.

>>when is closed function called after every map or after all the maps?
Once for every map task, after all the input data for that task is consumed.

Also, can you let us know where you are writing your data, ie in cwd of the
task or directly on hdfs?

Thanks,
Amogh