In other words:  I have a situation where I want to feed the output from the
first iteration of my mapreduce job to a second iteration and so on.  I have a
"for" loop in my main method to setup the job parameters and to run it through
all iterations but on about the third run the Hadoop processes lose their
association with the 'jps' command and then weird things start happening.  I
remember reading somewhere about "chaining" - is that what is needed?  I'm not
sure what causes jps to not report the hadoop processes even though they are
still active as can be seen with the "ps" command.  Thanks.  (This is on
version 0.20.1)