Todd Lipcon wrote:
On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Scott Carey <sc...@richrelevance.com>wrote:

I have found some notes that suggest that "-XX:-ReduceInitialCardMarks"
will work around some known crash problems with 6u18, but that may be
unrelated.

Yep, I think that is probably a likely workaround as well. For now I'm
recommending downgrade to our clients, rather than introducing cryptic XX
flags :)

lots of bugreps come in once you search for ReduceInitialCardMarks

Looks like a feature has been turned on :
http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=6889757

and now it is in wide-beta-test

http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=6888898
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.scala/19228

Looks like the root cause is a new Garbage Collector, one that is still settling down. The ReduceInitialCardMarks flag is tuning the GC, but it is the GC itself that is possibly playing up, or it is a old GC + some new features. Either way: trouble.

-steve