There's nothing like reading the manual:
http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/r0.20.0/hdfs_design.html#Replica+Placement%3A+The+First+Baby+Steps

Quote:

"For the common case, when the replication factor is three, HDFS’s
placement policy is to put one replica on one node in the local rack,
another on a different node in the local rack, and the last on a
different node in a different rack. "

So if you write the data from only 1 machine, every block will have 1
replica on that machine (although you can run the balancer
afterwards).

J-D