Interesting article.  It claims to have the same fault tolerance but I don't
see any explanation of how that can be.

If a single mapper fails part-way through a task when it has transmitted
partial results to a reducer, the whole job is corrupted.  With the current
barrier between map and reduce, a job can recover from partially completed
tasks and speculatively execute.

I would imagine that small low latency tasks can benefit greatly from such an
approach, but larger tasks need the barrier or will not be very fault tolerant.
 However, there is still a lot of optimizations to dot in Hadoop for low
latency tasks while maintaining the barrier.