I'm starting to evaluate Hadoop. We are currently running Sensage and store a lot of log files in our current environment. I've been looking at the Hadoop forums and googling (of course) but haven't learned if Hadoop HDFS does any compression to files we store.

On the average we're storing about 600 gigs a week in log files (more or less). Generally we need to store about 1 1/2 - 2 years of logs. With Sensage compression we can store about 200+ Tb of logs in our current environment.

As I said, we're starting to evaluate if Hadoop would be a good replacement to our Sensage environment (or at least augment it).

Thanks a bunch!!