> > Is it better to build the 1000 node cluster in a single data center?
>
> yes.
>
> >Do you back one of these things up to a second data center or a different
> >1000 node cluster?

If you're building your cluster on the West Coast, yes, you had best concern
yourself with Earthquakes, Rolling Blackouts and of course the ever present
volcanic activity. ;-) In the Midwest? Not so much. Just some potential
revolutionary, right wing conspiracy nut cases in Michigan and Northern
Indiana. ;-)  (Ok, we do have tornadoes, floods, and in Chicago plagues of
tourists. :-)  So do what Google and Microsoft are doing. Building out data
centers at 'undisclosed' locations around Chicago. :-)

Ok... on a more serious note...

I think the question building out two clusters in two data centers only makes
sense if you are worried about disaster recovery. Then yes, two clusters in
different locations make sense.

Then your two clusters are independent and you have to workout how to keep them
in sync.

If you were thinking of having one cloud span 2 data centers? Not really a good
idea.

HTH

-Mike