Looks like there is not much activity in the hdfs-user list. So, am reposting
it in the general list.

Hi guys.
  I have a few related questions. I am going to layout the steps I have taken.
Please comment on what I can do better.

  I was trying to to add 5 nodes to my existing 10 node cluster and also
increase the replication factor from 2 to 3.
I thought I don't have to run the balancer cause it would most likely put the
new replicas into the new nodes.

There are about 500k blocks.
I wanted to get it all stabilized(replication and balancing) within 24 hours.
Its more than 24 hours now and fsck reports 30% under replication. Is there a
way to force hdfs to use balance/replicate more aggressively.

It would be great if someone explained what/when things happen to blocks in the
context of

1)      Rebalancing

2)      -setrep

3)      Restarting cluster with a higher/lower replication factor.

A few questions and a few issues here.

1)      When you restart the cluster with a higher than previous replication
value. Does it also apply to existing blocks or only to new blocks being
created ?

2)      Does the balancer take into account under replication of blocks or does
it blindly start moving existing blocks to reach threshold ?

A very specific problem .  I am having this strange problem where the -setrep
hangs on one particular block for hours. Is this because its corrupt ?. But,
fsck said its healthy.

Thanks
Arun