I was trying to get Ganglia 3.1 to work with the stable hadoop-0.20.2
version from Apache. I patched this release from HADOOP-4675 using
HADOOP-4675-v7.patch as suggested by CDH3 release notes [1]  I am unable to
see any hadoop metrics on the Ganglia monitoring UI. The other metrics that
gmond spews (system CPU/Memory etc) seem to work.

When I switch to FileContext the metrics are written properly to the log
file. Once I moved to GangliaContext31 it doesn't show anything. I tried
pointing the "servers" param to localhost:8649 while listening on that port
using netcat on that machine... nothing comes up on netcat. Has anyone faced
this issue?

This is what most of my hadoop-metrics looks like:

dfs.class=org.apache.hadoop.metrics.ganglia.GangliaContext31
dfs.period=10
dfs.fileName=/tmp/dfsmetrics.log
dfs.servers=$Ganglia_Server:9988

# Configuration of the "mapred" context for null
mapred.class=org.apache.hadoop.metrics.ganglia.GangliaContext31
mapred.period=10
mapred.fileName=/tmp/mrmetrics.log
mapred.servers=$Ganglia_Server:9988

# Configuration of the "jvm" context for null
jvm.class=org.apache.hadoop.metrics.ganglia.GangliaContext31
jvm.period=10
jvm.fileName=/tmp/jvmmetrics.log
jvm.servers=$GANGLIA_SERVER:9988

-G.