On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 1:36 PM, jiang licht <licht_ji...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks Sudhir and Michael. I want to replace a new release of CDH3
> (0.20.2+320) to a previous release of CDH3 (0.20.2+228). The problem is that
> there is no installation package for previous release of CDH3 and no source
> to rebuild from. If you do yum install from cloudera repository, you always
> get the latest release. That's why I want to know a nice way to do this.
> Please correct me if I am wrong. I also noticed that ppl talked about a
> package for each release in Cloudera-supported forum getsatisfaction.com but
> don't know current status.
>
> In the end, to get work done and since hadoop is simply a java application, I
> simply used the files installed by previous release (on other machines) and
> set up configurations that point to the right locations.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael
>
> --- On Tue, 8/24/10, Sudhir Vallamkondu <sudhir.vallamko...@icrossing.com>
> wrote:
>
> From: Sudhir Vallamkondu <sudhir.vallamko...@icrossing.com>
> Subject: RE: how to revert from a new version to an older one (CDH3)?
> To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
> Date: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 10:57 AM
>
> More specifics on MichaelĀ¹s comment. You can use the yum remove or apt-get
> purge to remove the existing install.
>
> For Red Hat systems, run this command:
> # yum remove hadoop -y
>
> For Debian systems, run this command:
> # apt-get purge hadoop
>
> Verify that you have no Hadoop packages installed on your cluster.
>
> For Red Hat systems, run this command which should return no packages:
> $ rpm -qa | grep hadoop
>
> For Debian systems, run this command which should return no packages:
> $ dpkg -l | grep hadoop

> On Aug/24/ 5:08 AM, "common-user-digest-h...@hadoop.apache.org"
> <common-user-digest-h...@hadoop.apache.org> wrote:
>
>> From: Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
>> Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 06:21:30 -0500
>> To: <common-user@hadoop.apache.org>
>> Subject: RE: how to revert from a new version to an older one (CDH3)?
>>

>> Not sure if you got your question answered...
>>
>> You need to delete the current version (via yum) and then specifically
>> re-install the version you want by specifying the full name including
>> version.
>>
>> HTH
>> -Mike

>>> 0.20.2+228.

>>> find a way to yum install the older version.

>>> the new version is installed and overwrite it. But seems not a good solution
>>> because it might have negative impact on upgrading in the future.

> iCrossing Privileged and Confidential Information
> This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may
> contain confidential and privileged information of iCrossing. Any
> are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and

Ah. The dangers of installing things from the Internet!!!

The cloudera package for hadoop is great. I use it, but I DO NOT
download it from the internet every time! Why?

Because of the exact problem you are having, packages get updated and
finding the older one can be hard. Always keep a copy of your RPMs
locally! (and run your own yum repo)

You used to be able to navigate around the clouder repo and find the
older RPM inside the same folder. You still probably can hunt around
and you should be able to find it.

http://archive.cloudera.com/cdh/3/

Good luck!