This is a bug in 0.21. MAPREDUCE-1905 (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-1905) is open for this.

On 9/21/10 4:29 PM, "Marc Sturlese" <marc.sturl...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am using hadoop 0.21
I have a reducer task wich takes more time to finish that the
mapreduce.task.timeout so it's being killed:
Task attempt_201009211103_0001_r_000000_0 failed to report status for 602
seconds. Killing!
I have implemented a thread which is suposed to send progress and update the
status with an incremented counter but it seems not to be working. The
attempt is killed anyway.
I have tried an even simpler example: Not to use a thread and create an
infinite loop in the reducer which updates the status and sends progress on
each iteration... but the attempt keeps being killed:

    @Override
    public void reduce(Text keyName, Iterable<Text> paths, Context context)
throws IOException,   InterruptedException {
           while(true) {
               context.getCounter(COUNTER_ADS.total_ads).increment(1L) ;

context.setStatus(""+context.getCounter(COUNTER_ADS.total_ads)) ;
               context.progress();
          }
          context.write(new Text("done!"), NullWritable.get());
    }

I have even tryed to use  TaskInputOutputContext insted of stright Context:
    @Override
    public void reduce(Text keyName, Iterable<Text> paths, Context context)
throws IOException,   InterruptedException {
            TaskInputOutputContext tac = (TaskInputOutputContext)context;
            while(true) {
               tac.getCounter(COUNTER_ADS.total_ads).increment(1L) ;
               tac.setStatus(""+context.getCounter(COUNTER_ADS.total_ads)) ;
               tac.progress();
          }
          context.write(new Text("done!"), NullWritable.get());
    }

Can anyone tell me what else could I try or what am I doing wrong? I am
really stuck on this problem and have no idea what else to do...
Thanks in advance