On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 7:05 AM, Michael Segel
<michael_se...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> 4000 xcievers is a lot.
>
> I'm wondering if there's a correlation between the number of xcievers and
> ulimit -n. Should they be configured on a 1 to 1 ratio?

2:1 ratio of file descriptors to xceivers. 4000 xceivers is quite
normal on a heavily loaded HBase cluster in my experience.

The cost is the RAM of the extra threads, but there's not much you can
do about it, given the current design of the datanode.

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera