> Can a map task work on more than one input split?

As far as I can tell from reading the code, no (at least, not yet).  Code
such as createCache() in JobInProgress implicitly assumes a one-to-one mapping
between maps[] and splits[].

MR-1220 (small-jobs "combo task" optimization) will change that in some sense,
but fundamentally, the correspondence between maps and splits is pretty well
baked in, I believe.  (In fact, I'm pretty sure splits are created based on
some goal for the number of maps--i.e., maps and splits are one-to-one almost
by definition.)

I might be wrong about all this, of course. :-)

Greg