fwiw

I run m2.xlarge slaves, using the default mappers/reducers (4/2 i think).

with swap
  --bootstrap-action
s3://elasticmapreduce/bootstrap-actions/create-swap-file.rb --args
"-E,/mnt/swap,1000"

historically i'v run this property with no issues, but should probably
re-research the gc setting (comments please)
 "mapred.child.java.opts", "-server -Xmx2000m -XX:+UseParallelOldGC"

i haven't co-installed ganglia to look at utilization lately, but any more
mappers than 4 or more than 2 reducers have always given me headaches.

ckw