When I run hive, the derby.log will be created in the current directory. I
was looking around and found that if I create derby.properties and add the
line derby.stream.error.file=/hadoop/hive/logs/hadoop/derby.log, then the
derby.log will be created in the directory that was specified in the
derby.properties file.

But if I am not in the same directory as to where the derby.properties is
located, then the annoying derby.log will be created in the current
directory again. Is there a way to specify in hive / derby so that it knows
where to look for the derby.properties file?

Thanks in advance.