On 21/10/10 09:12, Bala.Linux wrote:
Hello All,

         We are facing a problem in starting the hadoop name node
instance. We are getting the following error :

2010-10-21 12:09:05,379 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.fs.FSNamesystem:
FSNamesystem initialization failed.
java.io.EOFException
         at java.io.DataInputStream.readFully(DataInputStream.java:180)
         at org.apache.hadoop.io.Text.readString(Text.java:412)
         at
org.apache.hadoop.fs.permission.PermissionStatus.readFields(PermissionStatus.java:84)
         at
org.apache.hadoop.fs.permission.PermissionStatus.read(PermissionStatus.java:98)
         at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.FSEditLog.loadFSEdits(FSEditLog.java:483)
         at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.FSImage.loadFSEdits(FSImage.java:849)
         at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.FSImage.loadFSImage(FSImage.java:675)
         at
org.apache.hadoop.dfs.FSImage.recoverTransitionRead(FSImage.java:289)
         at
org.apache.hadoop.dfs.FSDirectory.loadFSImage(FSDirectory.java:80)
         at
org.apache.hadoop.dfs.FSNamesystem.initialize(FSNamesystem.java:294)
         at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.FSNamesystem.<init>(FSNamesystem.java:273)
         at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.NameNode.initialize(NameNode.java:148)
         at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.NameNode.<init>(NameNode.java:193)
         at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.NameNode.<init>(NameNode.java:179)
         at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.NameNode.createNameNode(NameNode.java:830)
         at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.NameNode.main(NameNode.java:839)

Any help on this issue is much appreciated. Please refer the attachment
for the name node logs.

Looks like some problem trying to replay the namenode logs on startup, the last record of the log is missing. You'll probably need to delete that last log entry in the fs edit log (I've never done it, so can't describe how)

-steve