On Dec 2, 2010, at 8:52 AM, Mark Kerzner wrote:

> Thank you, Brian.
>
> I found your paper "Using Hadoop as grid storage," and it was very useful.
>
> One thing I did not understand in it is your file usage pattern - do you
> deal with small or large files, and do you delete them often enough? My
> question was, in part, can you use HDFS as a regular file system with
> frequent file deletes? Does it not become fragmented and unreliable?

We don't have any fragmentation issues.  We frequently delete files (we're
supposed to be able to turn over 500TB in 2 weeks).  We use quotas and have
daily monitoring to watch for users who abuse the system.  The only directories
without quotas are the ones we populate centrally; user directories (who we
don't control) can quite easily get 1-20TB, but have to provide a strong
justification to get more than 10k files.

Because HDFS has limited write semantics (but close enough to POSIX read
semantics) our users love it, but understand it's "special".

It's been a matter of user training:
- Do you want high performance storage that can do lots of small files?  If so,
the cost is $X / TB.
- Do you want high throughput storage where you have limited write semantics
and need to use large files?  If so, the cost is $Y / TB.
X is roughly 5-10x Y, so the group leaders can budget appropriately.  We then
purchase Hadoop and our Other Storage System in appropriate amounts.

User education goes a long way.  However, if they don't want to be bothered to
be educated, they can always pay more money.

Brian