The Mahout math package has a number of basic algorithms that use
algorithmic efficiencies when given sparse graphs.

A number of other algorithms use only the product of a sparse matrix on
another matrix or a vector.  Since these algorithms never change the
original sparse matrix, they are safe against fill-in problems.

The random projection technique avoids O(v^3) algorithms for computing SVD
or related matrix decompositions.  See http://arxiv.org/abs/0909.4061 and
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-376

None of these these algorithms are specific to graph theory, but all deal
with methods that are useful with sparse graphs.