If you're using Java version "1.6.0_18", avoid it and switch to a more
recent release.
For information on why, check http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HadoopJavaVersions

Although I don't think that it could be the real reason behind the
issue here, it may be good to avoid that particular release before
progressing deeper.

--
Harsh J
www.harshj.com