According to the documentation, that parameter is for the number of
    tasks *per TaskTracker*.  I am asking about the number of tasks
    for the entire job and entire cluster.  That parameter is already
    set to 3, which is one less than the number of cores on each node's
    CPU, as recommended.In my question I stated   that
    82 tasks were run for the first job, yet only 4 for the second -
    both numbers being cluster-wide.