From: Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:05 AM
Subject: Re: TeraSort question.

On 11/01/11 16:40, Raj V wrote:
> Ted
>

> Thanks. I have all the graphs I need that include, map reduce timeline,
> system activity for all the nodes when the sort was running. I will publish
> them once I have them in some presentable format.,
>
> For legal reasons, I really don't want to send the complete job histiory
> files.
>
> My question is still this. When running terasort, would the CPU, disk and
> network utilization of all the nodes be more or less similar or completely
> different.

They can be different. The JT pushes out work to machines when they report in,
some may get more work than others, so generate more local data. This will have
follow-on consequences. In a live system things are different as the work tends
to follow the data, so machines with (or near) the data you need get the work.

It's a really hard thing to say "is the cluster working right", when bringing
it up, everyone is really guessing about expected performance.

-Steve