A 'group' is a set of counters (like 'Map-Reduce Framework' in default
counters -> That's a group name). A 'counter' needs a name to signify
what it is about.

The increment is what the 'amount' signifies. Generally 1, but can be
any amount you need to increment the current count by. All counters
are of Long type. Floats are not acceptable AFAIK.

Example:
reporter:counter:Aliens,Mars,1 would +1 the global counter
[Aliens].Mars and reporter:counter:Aliens,Unknown,10 would +10 the
global counter [Aliens].Unknown.

Counters are aggregated together across all launched tasks, so you
don't need to worry about aggregating them yourselves. Each Map/Reduce
task needs only to count its own needed counters up from 0.

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 1:41 AM, Keith Wiley <kwi...@keithwiley.com> wrote:
> I have found the following abstraction a streaming counter update in many
> places on the web:

> to be sent to cerr, but I haven't found a description of the three
> parameters.  Presumably group is just a string of my own choosing, but I
> don't know what to enter for counter and amount.  Are they ints for floats?
> Is counter a string naming the counter or number indicating the maximum
> counter so that amount can be used to determine a fraction of that max...I
> just don't know.
>
> Help.

> Keith Wiley               kwi...@keithwiley.com
> www.keithwiley.com
>
> "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with
> sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
>  -- Galileo Galilei

Harsh J
www.harshj.com