On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 08:39, Edson Ramiro <erlfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I took a look around on the Internet, but I didn't find any docs about
> MiniDFS
> and MiniMRCluster. Is there docs about them?
>
> It remember me this phrase I got from the Herriot [1] page.
> "As always your best source of information and knowledge about any software
> system is its source code" :)

Yes, this still holds ;) Source code is your best friend for a number
of reasons:
  - this is _the_ best documentation for the code and shows what an
application does
  - it is always up-to-date
  - developers can focus on their development/testing rather then
writing an end-user documents about some internals (which no-one but
other developers will ever need)

> Do you think is possible to have just one tool to cover all kinds of tests?

Sure, why not? I am also a big believer that a single OS would do just fine.

> Another question, do you know if is possible to evaluate a MR program, eg
> sort, with Herriot considering several test data?

Absolutely... Herriot does run work-loads against a physical clusters.
So, I don't see why it can be impossible. Would be most effective use
of your time? Perhaps not, because Herriot requires a specially
tailored (instrumented) cluster to be executed against.

What you need, I think, is a simple way to get a jar file containing
some tests, drop it to a cluster's gateway machine and run then. Looks
like as what we are trying to achieve in iTest I have mentioned
earlier.

Cos