Thanks for your reply Harsh, but this is confusing me more :(

I can't experiment this because I'm using a single machine now and everything
is reported as Local read/written.

or can I ?
I'm using this line hdfs = FileSystem.get(getConf()); which I think means that
the instance created is distributed.
but the jobCoutners never uses it for intermediate results (Eg. for reducers to
read map-outputs)

So if you can answer my question further, I truly appreciate it !

Maha