Thanks for all these great ideas. These are really very helpful.

What I'm also hoping to find are articles or papers that describe what
particular companies or organizations have done with Hadoop. How does
Facebook use Hadoop for example (that's one of the case studies in the
White book), or how does last.fm use Hadoop (another of the case
studies in the White book).

One interesting resource is the list of "powered by Hadoop" projects
available here:

http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/PoweredBy

Some of these entries provide links to more detailed discussions of
what an organization is doing, as in the following from Twitter
http://www.slideshare.net/kevinweil/hadoop-pig-and-twitter-nosql-east-2009

So any additional descriptions of what specific organizations are
doing with Hadoop (to the extent they are willing to share) would be
really helpful (these sorts of "real world" cases tend to be
particularly motivating).

Cordially,
Ted

--