Here's a thought:

What's the value of having tests in a "clear environment" when you have just
said you will never use a "clear environment"?

If you want tests comparable with other folks, the clear environment makes
sense: if the benchmarks are for tuning for your site, you really better factor
in the "white noise" somehow.

My suggestion would be to use cgroups and isolate the process from each other
to the extent possible.  Remember the interference to go both ways: do you want
your PHP gateways to slow down / stutter if someone writes a crazy MR job?
This is what cgroups are designed for.

Brian