Well...

When you look at the default value... and compare it to DNs having 7+TB of disk
space...
The math doesn't look good.

If you have 1GBe and a good ToR from Cisco, Blade Networks (now IBM), and a
couple of others... they can do it.
I had a conversation with a switch provider and he indicated that by the end of
this year its realistic to find 10GBe on the motherboard.
Then budget 12K (USD) for the ToR. Depending on the model, you can trunk with 1
or more 10GBe or they may have a separate module for trunking/uplinks.
(There, prices may be more).

But I digress.

With a 1GBe port, you could go 100Mbs for the bandwidth limit.
If you bond your ports, you could go higher.

I guess the point is that many don't realize that they need to up the default
limit.

HTH

-Mike