Did you try Pig ? It drastically reduces boiler plate code for common
operations like, Join, Group, Cogroup, Filter, Projection, Order
Pig also gives you some advanced stuff like Multi-query optimization that is
ugly to code my hand and difficult to maintain.

Most of the people that I know, don't write Map-reduce code anymore as its too
low level and simply too much work.

If you are looking for alternative stuff to solve your problems better, I
suggest you give Pig (version 0.8) a shot - http://pig.apache.org

Regards
-@nkur