The script below is what I am now using for checking image integrity.

#!/bin/bash
# check_previous_checkpoint_integrity.sh
#
# This simple script tests the latest image which is in the
'previous.checkpoint' directory for namenode images.
# This will provide an early warning as to whether an HDFS image has been
corrupted.

export HADOOP_HOME=/usr/local/hadoop-install/hadoop-0.21.0

INPUT_FILE=/home/hadoop/hdfs/namesecondary/previous.checkpoint/fsimage
OUTPUT_FILE=/tmp/fsimage.txt

# If successful, this will create a non-empty file called fsimage.txt
# If fsimage is invalid, an empty fsimage.txt file will be created
$HADOOP_HOME/bin/hdfs oiv -i $INPUT_FILE -o $OUTPUT_FILE

if [ -s $OUTPUT_FILE ]
then
        echo "OK (file modified at `stat -c %y $INPUT_FILE`)"
else
        echo "FAIL"
fi