Ioan,

I second what Todd said, even with FuseHDFS, mounting HDFS as a regular file
system, it won't give you the immediate response about the file status that
you need. I believe Google implemented Gmail with HBase. Here is an example
of implementing a mail store with Cassandra:
http://ewh.ieee.org/r6/scv/computer/nfic/2009/IBM-Jun-Rao.pdf

<http://ewh.ieee.org/r6/scv/computer/nfic/2009/IBM-Jun-Rao.pdf>Mark