Fair scheduler won't help unless you set it to allow preemptive executions
which may not be a good thing...

Fair scheduler will wait until the current task completes before assigning a
new task to the open slot.  So if you have a long running job... You're SOL.

A combiner will definitely help but you will still have the issue of long
running jobs. You could put you job in a queue that limits the number of
slots... But then you will definitely increase the time to run your job.

If you could suspend a task... But that's anon-trivial solution...

Mike Segel