From: Allen Wittenauer [mailto:a...@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2011 11:42 AM
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Cc: Xu, Richard [ICG-IT]
Subject: Re: Unable to start hadoop-0.20.2 but able to start hadoop-0.20.203
cluster

On May 27, 2011, at 7:26 AM, DAN wrote:
> You see you have "2 Solaris servers for now", and dfs.replication is setted
> as 3.
> These don't match.

        That doesn't matter.  HDFS will basically flag any files written with a
warning that they are under-replicated.

        The problem is that the datanode processes aren't running and/or aren't
communicating to the namenode. That's what the "java.io.IOException: File
/tmp/hadoop-cfadm/mapred/system/jobtracker.info could only be replicated to 0
nodes, instead of 1" means.

        It should also be pointed out that writing to /tmp (the default) is a
bad idea.  This should get changed.

        Also, since you are running Solaris, check the FAQ on some settings
you'll need to do in order to make Hadoop's broken username detection to work
properly, amongst other things.