On 06/06/2011 02:40 PM, John Armstrong wrote:
On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 09:34:56 -0400,<dar...@ontrenet.com>  wrote:
Yeah, that's a good point.

In fact, it almost makes me wonder if an ideal setup is not only to have
each of the main control daemons on their own nodes, but to put THOSE nodes
on their own rack and keep all the data elsewhere.

I'd give them 10Gbps connection to the main network fabric, as with any ingress/egress nodes whose aim in life is to get data into and out of the cluster. There's a lot to be said for fast nodes within the datacentre but not hosting datanodes, as that way their writes get scattered everywhere -which is what you need when loading data into HDFS.

You don't need separate racks for this, just more complicated wiring.

-steve

(disclaimer, my network knowledge generally stops at Connection Refused and No Route to Host messages)