On 06/10/2011 05:31 PM, si...@ugcv.com wrote:

I would add more RAM for sure but there's hardware limitation. How if
the motherboard
couldn't support more than ... say 128GB ? seems I can't keep adding RAM
to resolve it.

compressed pointers, do u mean turning on jvm compressed reference ?
I didn't try that out before, how's your experience ?

JVMs top out at 64GB, I think, while compressed pointers only work on sun VMs when the heap is under 32GB. JRockit has better heap management, but as I was the only person to admit to using Hadoop on JRockit, I know you'd be on your own if you found problems there.

Unless your cluster is bigger than Facebooks, you have too many small files