Hi Mark,

You can take a look at
http://allthingshadoop.com/2010/04/28/map-reduce-tips-tricks-your-first-real-cluster/
 and
http://www.cloudera.com/blog/2009/03/configuration-parameters-what-can-you-just-ignore/to
configure your cluster. Along with the tasks, you can change the child
jvm heap size, data.xceivers etc. A good practice is to understand what kind
of map reduce programming you will be doing, are your tasks CPU bound or
memory bound and accordingly change your base cluster settings.

Best Regards,
Sonal
<https://github.com/sonalgoyal/hiho>Hadoop ETL and Data
Integration<https://github.com/sonalgoyal/hiho>