Matt,
Thanks for your help!
I think I get it now, but this part is a bit confusing:
*
*
*so: tasktracker/datanode and 6 slots left. How you break it up from there
is your call but I would suggest either 4 mappers / 2 reducers or 5 mappers
/ 1 reducer.*
*
*
If it's 2 processes per core, then it's: 4 Nodes * 4 Cores/Node * 2
Processes/Core = 32 Processes Total

So my configuration mapred-site.xml should include these props:

*<property>*
*  <name>mapred.map.tasks</name>*
*  <value>28</value>*
*</property>*