19.07.11 14:50, Steve Loughran написав(ла):
On 19/07/11 12:44, Rita wrote:
Arun,

I second Joeś comment.
Thanks for giving us a heads up.
I will wait patiently until 0.23 is considered stable.

API-wise, 0.21 is better. I know that as I'm working with 0.20.203 right now, and it is a step backwards.

Regarding future releases, the best way to get it stable is participate in release testing in your own infrastructure. Nothing else will find the problems unique to your setup of hardware, network and software

My little hadoop adoption story (or why I won't test 0.23)
I am among those who think that latest release is what is supported and so we got to 0.21 way. BTW: I've tried to find some release roadmap, but could not find anything up to date.
We are using HDFR without Map/Reduce.
As far as I can see now 0.21 nowhere near beta quality with non-working new features like backup node or append. Also there is no option for such unlucky people to back off to 0.20 (at least "hadoop downgrade" search do not give any good results). I did already fill 5 tickets in Jira, 3 of them with patches. On two there is no activity at all, on other three answer is the latest non-autogenerated message (and over 3 weeks old).
I did send few messages to this list, one to hdfs-user. No answers.
With this level of project activity, I can't afford to test a thing that have not got to 0.21 quality level yet. If I will have any problems, I can't afford to wait for months to be heard. I am more or less stable on my own patched 0.21 for now and will either move forward if I will see more project activity or move somewhere else if it will become "less stable".

Best regards, Vitalii Tymchyshyn