Hi Shrinivas,

There has been some work going on recently around optimizing checksums. See
HDFS-2080 for example. This will help both the write and read code, though
we've focused more on read.

There have also been a lot of improvements around random read access - for
example HDFS-941 which improves random read by more than 2x.

I'm planning on writing a blog post in the next couple of weeks about some
of this work.

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon