On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 12:17 AM, Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> Mohit,
>
> I believe Tom's book (Hadoop: The Definitive Guide) covers this
> precisely well. Perhaps others too.
>
> Replication is a best-effort sort of thing. If 2 nodes are all that is
> available, then two replicas are written and one is left to the
> replica monitor service to replicate later as possible (leading to an
> underreplicated write for the moment). The scenario (with default
> configs) would only fail if you have 0 DataNodes 'available' to write
> to.

Thanks Harsh. I think you answered my question. I thought that
replication of 3 is a must. And for that you really need atleast 4
nodes so that if one of the nodes die it can still write to 3 nodes. I
am assuming writes to replica nodes are always synchronous and not
eventually consistent.

> Or are you asking about what happens when a DN fails during a write operation?

I am assuming there will be some errors in this case.