Slight modification: I now know how to add files to the distributed file
cache, which can be done via this command placed in the main or run class:

        DistributedCache.addCacheFile(new URI("/user/hadoop/thefile.dat"),
conf);

However I am still having trouble locating the file in the distributed
cache. *How do I call the file path of thefile.dat in the distributed cache
as a string?* I am using Hadoop 0.20.2

--
Roger Chen
UC Davis Genome Center