On 17/08/11 08:48, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 13:26:18 -0500
Michel Segel<michael_se...@hotmail.com>  wrote:

This sounds like a homework assignment than a real world problem.

Why? just wondering.

The question proposed a data rate comparable with Yahoo, Google and Facebook --yet it was ingress rather than egress, which was even more unusual. You'd have to be doing a web-scale search engine to need that data rate -and if you were doing that you need to know a lot more about how Hadoop works (i.e. the limited role of the NN). You'd also have to addressed the entire network infrastructure, the costs of the work on your external system, DNS load, power budget. Oh, and the fact that unless you were processing discarding those PB/day at the rate of ingress, you'd need to add a new Hadoop cluster at a rate of 1 cluster/month, which is not only expensive, I don't think datacentre construction rates could handle it, even if your server vendor had set up a construction/test pipeline to ship down an assembled and test containerised cluster every few weeks (which we can do, incidentally :)

I guess people don't race cars against trains or have two trains
traveling in different directions anymore... :-)

huh?

Different Homework questions.