Hi Hakan,

        Please find my comments inline in blue :

-----Original Message-----
From: Hakan (c)lter [mailto:hakanil...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:28 PM
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Hadoop with Netapp

Hi everyone,

We are going to create a new Hadoop cluster in our company, i have to get some
advises from you:

1. Does anyone have stored whole Hadoop data not on local disks but on Netapp
or other storage system? Do we have to store datas on local disks, if so is it
because of performace issues?

<sagar>: Yes, we were using SAN LUNs for storing Hadoop data. SAN works faster
than NAS in terms of performance while writing the data to the storage. Also
SAN LUNs can be auto-mounted while booting up the system.

2. What do you think about running Hadoop nodes in virtual (VMware) servers?

<sagar>: If high speed computing is not a requirement for you then Hadoop nodes
in VM environment could be a good option, but one other slight drawback is when
the VM crashes recovery of the in-memory data would be gone. Hadoop takes care
of some amount of failover, but there is some amount of risk involved and
requires good HA building capabilities.

Thanks,

Sagar

Thanks...

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is the
property of Persistent Systems Ltd. It is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print, distribute or
use this message. If you have received this communication in error, please
notify the sender and delete all copies of this message. Persistent Systems