Interested in this topic. We have experienced plenty of difficulties running hadoop in Eucalyptus based virtual instance clusters. Typical issues like

java.net.SocketTimeoutException: 69000 millis timeout while waiting for channel to be ready for read. ch : java.nio.channels.SocketChannel

kill the whole job. The IO of HDFS based on network storage is very slow. I am wondering whether Apache Whirr has made any significant improvement for hadoop implementation in virtual instances like Ec2.