If I just change configuration settings in slave machines, Will it effect
any of the data that is currently residing in the cluster ??

And my second question was...
Do we need the master node (NN/JT hosting machine) to have good
configuration than our slave machines(DN/TT hosting machines).

Actually my master node is a weaker machine than my slave machines,because I
am assuming that master machines does not do much additional work, and its
okay to have a weak machine as master.
Now I have a new big server machine just being added to my cluster. So I am
thinking shall I make this new machine as my new master(NN/JT) or just add
this machine as slave ?

Thanks,
Praveenesh